Umrah is the sacred type of Muslims’ prayer. Although Umrah can be performed in any time of the year and even in the Hajj days, however, there are some rules and restrictions for the ladies in respect to perform an Umrah. Before this, we will talk about the meaning of Umrah. Umrah literally means “a visit” while its definition is that a prayer which Muslims perform by visiting the Holy cities i.e. Makkah and Madinah and perform the rituals and obligations of this prayer in any days of the year. The travel agents on Trips.pk offer the best Umrah Packages available for Pakistani people who intend to perform Umrah on reasonable prices.
Rules for Ladies to know before applying for Umrah:
1. A woman cannot perform Umrah lonely, she should have a “Mahram” (An adult male member of her family). However, according to the newly reformed rules, a woman aged 45 or more can perform Umrah without a Mahram if she travels with an organized group or family and submits a notarized NOC (No objection certificate) from her Mahram.
2. A woman cannot perform Umrah when she is in Iddah/ Iddat (certain duration waiting period of a widow or divorced lady).
3. Each pilgrim must have vaccination certificate against Meningococcal Meningitis which will be checked during the entry in Saudi Arabia.
4. Umrah Visa requirements include a complete original duly signed Umrah Visa application form, a Passport (valid for at least 6 months), a passport size photograph with white background (attached to the application form), airline ticket, while Umrah Visa is free of any charge.
How to perform Umrah for Ladies:
Here you will read about how to do Umrah (for ladies), a step by step Umrah guide. There are four obligations to perform Umrah; Ihram, Tawaf, Sa’ee and Qasar/ Halaq.
1. Ihram: Ihram is a sacred physical and spiritual state for performing Umrah. While you have arrived at Meeqat, it is necessary for you to go through the state of Ihram in your heart, remembering Allah and saying words of the intention of Umrah i.e. Allahuma Labbaika Umrah. While Entering Masjid-e-Haram, enter with the right foot and say “Bismillah, Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammad, Allahumma’gfirli Waftahli Abwaaba Rahmatik.
i. Umrah Dress code for women:
No specific dressing code for ladies performing Umrah is suggested, they can perform Umrah in ordinary clothing covering all their body and a scarf covering their head. It is not permissible for women to hide their face and hands during Umrah. Most women prefer to wear white dress during Umrah, but it is not mandatory. Being clean and pure is mandatory while performing Umrah.
ii. Umrah Shoes for Ladies:
Although ladies are permitted to wear any kind of shoes during Umrah, but they should wear a comfortable pair of shoes because they would have to walk a lot during Umrah.
iii. Menstruation during Umrah:
It is narrated in many Hadiths that if a woman gets her period before entering Ihram, she can still enter Ihram after taking a full bath (ghusl). However, it is not permissible for a woman in periods to do Tawaf of Ka’bah, neither they should perform two rakat Nafil Salah in Masjid-e-Haram (which is necessary to perform after Tawaf only in the state of purification). But if the periods start after completion of Tawaf, then ladies can perform Sa’ee which is allowed in this state. Get cheap flight ticket for Madinah here.
2. Tawaf: Tawaf means the circling around the Ka’bah 7 times, keeping the Ka’bah at left side. You should touch and kiss the Hijr-e -Aswad (the black stone) before starting the circulation but if you cannot touch then just facing and pointing towards it is enough, along with saying Bismillah, Allahu Akbar. Then walk and whenever you reach parallel to the black stone during each circulation repeat the same. Women should not practice Ar-Raml (speeding up the pace with small steps during the first three circulations of Ka’bah) and women should not say Talbiyah (intention prayer) loudly. Although there are no specific supplications to be recited while doing Tawaf, you can recite anything you wish or make Dua. However, it is reported that Prophet P.B.U.H. used to recite the Surah-e-Baqarah’s verse 201 (i.e. Rabbana Aatina Fiddunya Hasanatau(n) wa fil Aakhirati Hasanatau(n) wa qina Azabannar) during tawaf when he reached every time between Hijr-e-Aswad (the black stone) and Rukn-e-Yamani, so it is recommended to do so. After completion of Tawaf, you should reach the Maqam-e-Ibraheem and recite the part of Quranic Verse number 125 of Surah-e-Baqarah (i.e. Wattakhizu Mimmaqaam-e-Ibraheema Musalla). Women should be distant from the crowds of men and they should offer Nafil Prayers anywhere in Masjid-e-Haram if there is a rush at Maqam-e-Ibrahim.
3. Sa’ee: Sa’ee is the next step of Umrah after Tawaf. Sa’ee means to run between the Safa and Marwah mountains. First, you have to approach Safa and while putting a foot on it, you have to read Surah-e-Baqarah’s verse 158 (i.e. Innassafa wal marwata min sha’aa’irillah- faman Hajjal Baita awia’tamara falaa junaah alaihe ain’yyattawwafa bihima- Waman tatawwa’a khairan fa innallaha Shakirun Aleem). Then climb to the top of Safa so that Ka’bah could be visible and facing towards Ka’bah repeat these words 3 times: Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilaaha illallahu- wahdahu la shareeka lahu- lahul mulku walahul Hamdu- wa huwa ala qulli shae’in Qadeer. La ilaha illallahu wahdahu anjaza wa’adahu, wa nasara abdahu wa hazamal ahzaba wahdahu. Then go to Marwah mountain and again to Safa, you have to repeat the same except the above-given verse which is read only once while putting foot first time on Safa mountain. You must make 4 rounds from Safa to Marwah and 3 rounds from Marwah to Safa (overall 7 rounds). Again, in these rounds, women should not walk quickly (Ar-Raml) as men are required to do.
4. Qasar/ Halaq: In the ending, women should cut their hair endings/ shorten them at least one inch, this is called Qasar or Halaq. Now all the rights of Umrah have been completed and you can exit the state of Ihram which is called Tahallul (coming out of the state of Ihram).
Note: In Umrah, you do not have to go to Mina or Arafat or Muzdalifa nor you should throw pebbles on Jamrahs, nor you should practice animal sacrifice because these all are the steps of Hajj only.